The Castle of the Guidi Counts is the most emblematic monument of the Casentino. It dates back to 1191. The building was renovated starting in 1274 by Count Simone Guidi and his son Guido. The imposing and fortified castle rises before the plain where, on 11 June 1289, the Battle of Campaldino between the Florentine Guelphs, with Dante Alighieri among them, and the Ghibellines from
Arezzo took place. The origins of the building is uncertain, with the oldest part attributed to Lapo di Cambio, while the most recent one, dating to the end of the 13th century, might be by di Arnolfo di Cambio.